TO MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICANTS
for a marriage license are set by appointment ONLY.
call 740-670-5624 to make an appointment.
(Click Here To Print or Download the Marriage Application Form)
Our Probate Court issues Marriage Licenses to Licking County, Ohio residents who wish to
marry in the State of Ohio, and those out of state residents wishing to marry in Licking County, Ohio.
Location, Contact Information & Hours of Operation:
Licking County Probate Court
1 N. Park Place, 1st Floor
Newark, Ohio 43055
Monday – Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Who can apply for a marriage license in Licking County, Ohio?
- ONE or BOTH applicants MUST be a resident of Licking County, Ohio. The license can be used anywhere in the State of Ohio
- Residents of another state may apply, but the license must be used (marriage performed) in Licking County, Ohio
- Each applicant must be eighteen (18) years of age or older
- If either applicant is under the age of eighteen (18) please contact the Court to obtain information on the additional requirements to obtain a Marriage License
What is the cost to apply?
- $70.00 (effective April 1, 2021) cash ONLY. Credit cards, debit cards and checks are NOT accepted
- $60.00 (before April 1, 2021) cash ONLY. Credit cards, debit cards and checks are NOT accepted
What information is required to complete a marriage application?
- Full name, social security number, current address, telephone number, place of birth(city and state), date of birth and occupation
- First, middle and last name of parents as shown on birth certificate, including maiden names
- Number of previous marriages
- Most recent divorce/dissolution information
- If widowed, full name and date of death of deceased spouse
- Person expected to perform the ceremony, if known
What documentation is required?
- A current driver’s license (or other valid state ID or passport)
- If your present address is not the address on your driver’s license, please provide the Court with a piece of current mail showing your present address (both applicants must show proof of their current address)
- If either applicant has been previously married and the marriage ended by Divorce/Dissolution, a CERTIFIED copy of your most recent Divorce/Dissolution decree must be presented to the Court. If either applicant is widowed, a CERTIFIED copy of the Death Certificate of the deceased spouse must be presented to the Court
When should you apply for a marriage license, and how long is it valid?
- The marriage license is valid when issued and there is no required waiting period between its issuance and the marriage ceremony
- To avoid complications, it is recommended that the license be obtained approximately two weeks prior to the intended marriage date
- A marriage license must be used within 60 days of issuance or it becomes void
Who can perform a marriage in Licking County, Ohio?
- An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within this state, may perform a marriage if, prior to the ceremony, that individual is also licensed by the State of Ohio to perform marriages
- The license to perform marriages is obtained through The Office of the Ohio Secretary of State. It is encouraged that you inquire with The Ohio Secretary of State’s Office to ensure the individual is licensed to marry by calling 1-614-466-2655 or visit their website at www.sos.state.oh.us
- Both applicants MUST BE PRESESNT to apply. If one or both of the applicants cannot appear due to illness or physical disability please contact the Court for further information
- No blood tests or witnesses are required in Ohio
- Please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m. to ensure adequate time to prepare your application and answer your questions
Please Note: Our Court administers oaths, provides certifications and/or seals only for applications for marriage licenses issued by our Court. Our Court does not process, assist with, or participate in the issuance of marriage license applications for other jurisdictions.