Contempt Action in Court

How Did I Get Here?

You will be considered for contempt when you are at least 30 days in default & the CSEA is unable to verify any employment or garnish any income source. You have not made a court-ordered child support payment and you might not have communicated any information to your case manager. The CSEA does not have a lot of choices considering that other enforcement tools have not worked.

What happens at the Contempt Hearing?

If the obligor is found in contempt, they will usually receive a suspended sentence for the first contempt and a future hearing date will be set to review the case and compliance issues.

The case manager will monitor the case during this time for compliance. If there is compliance, the case will be Dismissed. If there is no compliance, a hearing will be set with the Licking County Domestic Relations Court. The Judge and/or Magistrate will decide what actions will be taken moving forward.

If the obligor fails to appear for any of these proceedings, a bench warrant may be issued. This is also known as a Capias

How does the Process Work?(also known as the “10 day letter”)

  • Address verification is obtained through the post office
  • Personal service is required for contempt actions
  • The total amount of back owed support is calculated by the CSEA
  • A legal referral is made to the CSEA Special Prosecuting Attorney for legal action
  • The Obligee is notified of the date, time & location of the hearing and you are required to be there
  • If you fail to show and have been served, a bench warrant could be issues for your arrest

It is important that you comply with all directives from the Child Support Enforcement Agency as well as the respective Court Systems.

Licking County Domestic Relations Court:740 670.5392
Licking County Juvenile Court Division: 740 670.5624
Licking County Sheriffs Department: 740 670.5501

Communication with the Child Support Enforcement Agency, the Court Systems and the Sheriff’s Department is crucial if you want to avoid the imposition of jail time for non-payment of child support.

Even if the obligor files for bankruptcy, this will not excuse the court-ordered child support obligation including arrears or past due amount. Enforcement will begin once the bankruptcy action has been resolved or discharged by the court.