Interstate Cases State to State Child Support

A court-ordered child support case can become an interstate case when one or both of the parties resides outside of the state. The child support agencies in both states can assist the parties to the case. 

What happens Next?

  • The CSEA will carefully review your case to determine if an interstate action is appropriate. In order to begin any action in an interstate case, the CSEA must have a valid address for the party residing in another state.
  • The CSEA can use the interstate process to establish a child support and medical order, or to enforce an existing order issued by Ohio or any other state.
  • Once the CSEA has a valid address and or telephone number, we can contact the party residing in our county and request completion of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) forms. These forms are required for another state to help us with enforcement.
  • The Interstate process is also used when another state requests our assistance in obtaining or enforcing an order in our state. This can occur when the non-custodial parent now resides in Licking County.
  • Please remember that the interstate process can be lengthy. Once the UIFSA forms are prepared and sent to the responding state, the CSEA can then correspond with the other state for the enforcement of the order.
  • Many of the same services are offered by each state including but not limited to paternity establishment, support establishment, on-going compliance, requests for modifications, and support enforcement assistance.
  • You can also use an on-line web-based service to make your child support payments and have them credited to your case in another state.